Purpose and Focus of the Recognition
Out of deep respect and high regard for Henri J. M. Nouwen, his pastoral heart, sensitive compassion and dedication to each individual’s spirituality, the Religion Division of the American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities has created the Henri Nouwen Award. Through this award the Religion Division seeks to recognize and acknowledge individuals who reflect a “Nouwen style” of compassion for, commitment and dedication to ministry and servanthood that values and esteems people with developmental disabilities.
- Demonstrates a devotion to follow a sense of call and vocation in relationships, or in community, with people having developmental disabilities.
- Demonstrates the understanding of and the capacity to blend the pastoral and prophetic dimensions of ministry and service to others.
- Demonstrates a capacity to expand and enhance our understanding of the spiritual needs and gifts of people with developmental disabilities.
- Demonstrates the competence to write and teach while also living in community, or having direct relationships, with people having developmental disabilities and their families.
- Demonstrates, in one’s life and writing, the competence to build bridges of understanding about and to meet individual spiritual needs and the ability to meet those needs by illuminating the power of vulnerability and community.
- Nominations for the award recognition should be submitted to Dr. Neil Cudney no later than March 01, 2020. Submit the completed nominations to email@example.com
- Nominations should include:
- A brief biography/vitae
- List of articles and books published, writings, etc.
- Nomination letter highlighting professional and practical experiences related to the field of developmental disabilities.
- Why you are nominating this individual and why he/she should be considered for the Nouwen Award.
- The award will be presented at the National AAIDD Conference. The award recipient’s expenses will be paid to attend the Religion and Spirituality Forum on Thursday, June 4 in Pittsburgh, PA.
- The recipient will be invited to give a brief presentation at the Forum.
Past Recipients of the Henri J.M. Nouwen Award
- 2019 Rev. Andy Calder
- 2018 Lida Merrill
- 2017 Dr. Thomas Hoeksema
- 2016 Benjamin T. Conner
- 2015 Barbara J. Newman
- 2014 Nella Uitvlugt
- 2013 Sister Gabrielle Kowalski
- 2012 Rev. Bill Gaventa
- 2010 David Morstad
- 2008 Reverend Joseph D. McNulty
- 2007 Nancy Eiesland
- 2006 Ron Vredeveld
- 2005 Sara Simon
- 2004 Charles Luce
- 2003 Jimmy Olin Pierson
- 2002 Ginny Thornburgh
- 2001 Sr. Sue Mostellar