Purpose and Focus of the Recognition
Out of deep respect and high regard for Henri J. M. Nouwen, his pastoral heart, sensitive compassion and dedication to each individual’s spirituality, the Religion Division of the American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities has created the Henri Nouwen Award. Through this award the Religion Division seeks to recognize and acknowledge individuals who reflect a “Nouwen style” of compassion for, commitment and dedication to ministry and servanthood that values and esteems people with developmental disabilities.
- Demonstrates a devotion to follow a sense of call and vocation in relationships, or in community, with people having developmental disabilities.
- Demonstrates the understanding of and the capacity to blend the pastoral and prophetic dimensions of ministry and service to others.
- Demonstrates a capacity to expand and enhance our understanding of the spiritual needs and gifts of people with developmental disabilities.
- Demonstrates the competence to write and teach while also living in community, or having direct relationships, with people having developmental disabilities and their families.
- Demonstrates, in one’s life and writing, the competence to build bridges of understanding about and to meet individual spiritual needs and the ability to meet those needs by illuminating the power of vulnerability and community.
- Nominations for the award recognition should be submitted to Neil Cudney no later than March 08, 2019. You can send the completed nomination to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nominations should include:
- A brief biography/vitae
- List of articles and books published, writings, etc.
- Nomination letter highlighting professional and practical experiences related to the field of developmental disabilities.
- Why you are nominating this individual and why he/she should be considered for the Nouwen Award.
- Award will be presented at the National AAIDD Conference. Nominees expenses will be paid to attend the Religion and Spirituality Forum on Thursday, June 27 in St. Louis, MO.
- Nominee will be invited to give a brief presentation at the Forum.